Re: Syntax Issues

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 00:06:19 -0800 (PST)
To: Juergen Reuter <reuterj@ira.uka.de>
cc: WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, jjh@ira.uka.de
> 3. The xml code in the examples in chapter 8 of [WebDAV] should, if I
>    understand right, be compliant with the syntax specified in
>    appendix 1.  Section 2.8 of [XML] says:
>    "An XML document is valid if it has an associated document type
>    declaration and if the document complies with the constraints
>    expressed in it."
>    Without supplying a DTD, the document can only be checked for
>    well-formedness, which does not seem to help very much for
>    real-life applications.  Hence, I would expect the xml code of
>    the examples in chapter 8 of [WebDAV] to begin as follows or
>    the like:

Wow. I didn't realize that IE5 and Office 2000 were not "real-life
applications." After all, they don't check against a DTD.

<SarcasmOff/>

I've been able to implement a DAV server without the "benefit" of a DTD.
Works great. Many other people have done servers, too. There aren't so
many clients, but they all work very well. All without the benefit of a
DTD.

The rest of your email was great.... But I had to say something about your
supposition. It just isn't true that a DTD is required or even needed.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/