Does zope mess with the body in a GET?

From: Jim Davis <jrd3@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:12:40 +0100
To: Brian Lloyd <Brian@digicool.com>
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
I did a PUT to foo.html.  I sent 51 characters
"Despite the name, this is a <B>plain text</B> file."

when I did a GET I got back 71 characters,

Despite the name, this is a <B>plain text</B> file."

Looks to me like Zope added those HTML elements for me.  this seems
undesirable.

What is also bizarre is that if I do  HEAD, I get back length of 51.

So I think Zope must be adding them when I do then GET.

For what it's worth, after the PUT I also did  PROPPATCH to set the type to
text/plain.
But that seemed to have no effect