Re: Can you move a locked file?

From: WJCarpenter <bill@carpenter.ORG>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:37:43 -0700
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
gmc> I personally would not favor any flag that splits the locking
gmc> behavior into two different flavors.  Since I can't imagine
gmc> clients putting in alternative code paths for these different
gmc> flavors of locks, this just guarantees non-interoperability, as
gmc> each flavor of server fails a client's request to provide the
gmc> other flavor of lock.

Well, uh, sheesh, I almost regret having to point this out, but the
current LOCK method already describes two flavors of locking, and it
seems to me that that overloading is what is causing the current
disagreement and discussion.

LOCKing a resource and LOCKing a namespace are different animals,
whether you use the same verb or not.  Having the method overloaded
gives the opportunity for (1) implementation errors, and (2) wishing
it weren't so.
--
bill@carpenter.ORG   (WJCarpenter)           PGP
bill@bubblegum.net                    0x91865119