Re: resourcetype locknull

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:23:30 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

   From: jamsden@us.ibm.com

   <jra>
   We could eliminate lock-null resources, and keep the ability to reserve a name
   in the namespace if LOCK on a null resource created a resource with an empty
   body and locked it. Since LOCK on a null resource isn't going to respond with
   404 Not Found anyway, it might as well create the resource.
   </jra>

Having LOCK create a null resource as a side effect?
This can't be "no control coupling" Jim Amsden talking here! (:-).

But seriously, I could easily live with this proposal.  Although I am
aesthetically against control coupling of this kind (i.e. creating a
resource and locking a resource should be two separate and orthogonal
requests), I could live with it if that's what it takes to get rid
of lock null resources.

Cheers,
Geoff