Re: PROPPATCH Error minimization

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 07:53:16 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

I'd suggest we just make it clear that these
optimizations are not allowed.  They save some
bandwidth over the wire, but would complicate both server and client

   From: jamsden@us.ibm.com

   According to the WebDAV DTD, prop and status are required, and a multistatus
   must have at least one response. The optimizations you describe look good, but
   the really complicate client implementations.

   ccjason@us.ibm.com on 10/07/99 05:44:37 PM

   To:   w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

   Subject:  Re: PROPPATCH Error minimization

   Say we invoke PROPATCH so that it sets property1 and property2 on resourceX.

   if both of these return an error, I believe we are allowed to return...

      <STATUS>HTTP/1.1 409 Conflict</STATUS>

   but are we allowed to skip the PROP tag if all of the element have the same

      <STATUS>HTTP/1.1 409 Conflict</STATUS>

   And are we allowed to skip the PROPSTAT altogether and just return a status for
   the URI?...

   <STATUS>HTTP/1.1 409 Conflict</STATUS>

   Or even return it in the response header?

   Does this change if the response code is "200 OK" rather than 4XX?

   If the spec doesn't already do so, it should provide a guideline here so that
   clients know all the possibilities to expect and can code for them.

   Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com