Re: DELETE Semantics

From: <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:56:44 -0400
To: jamsden@us.ibm.com
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

<ja>
1. all URL references to a resource are bindings, including the PUT or MKCOL
used to create the resource in the first place.
</ja>

Just to clarify.  I think you're suggesting that PUT and MKCOL are
operations on bindings.  I agree... they create new bindings, if
there isn't a resource there
already.  But in the case of PUT, if there's a (non-collection) resource
already there, then it's an action on the resource... not the binding.

<ja>
4. LOCK locks the resource, not the bindings. If the namespace needs to be
controlled, then the user should lock the applicable parent collections.
</ja>

<jlc>
I agree that that's what seems to be suggested.  I just want to add, "ouch!
That's a painful way to protect a URI.".
</jlc>