Re: DELETE Semantics

From: <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:56:44 -0400
To: jamsden@us.ibm.com
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

1. all URL references to a resource are bindings, including the PUT or MKCOL
used to create the resource in the first place.

Just to clarify.  I think you're suggesting that PUT and MKCOL are
operations on bindings.  I agree... they create new bindings, if
there isn't a resource there
already.  But in the case of PUT, if there's a (non-collection) resource
already there, then it's an action on the resource... not the binding.

4. LOCK locks the resource, not the bindings. If the namespace needs to be
controlled, then the user should lock the applicable parent collections.

I agree that that's what seems to be suggested.  I just want to add, "ouch!
That's a painful way to protect a URI.".