Re: DELETE Semantics

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@atria.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:05:31 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
> From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>
> jamsden@us.ibm.com wrote:
>
> > The problems we're having result from
> > mixing the semantics of:
> >   1. a resource and its contents/properties
> >   2. URLs we use to access a resource.
>
> This is probably unavoidable--as far as HTTP is concerned, a resource has no
> identity apart from its URL.

Yes, but we are talking about extending HTTP (in a backward compatible way).
So just because HTTP-1.1 clients do not have any way of identifying a
resource other than its URL, does not imply that the same is true
for clients and servers that understand an extension of HTTP-1.1.

In particular, the advanced collection protocol proposes a GUID property,
as does the versioning protocol.

Cheers,
Geoff