Re: DELETE leaving a lock-null resource; was LOCK Scenarios

From: <jamsden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:31:25 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

There are a large number of situations in authoring environments where
transaction semantics are required. WebDAV doesn't (yet) support transactions,
and I don't think we should attempt to come up with a lot of special cases (like
lock-null resources) supported by the protocol to overcome this important
missing function. Rather let's propose an extension that does support
transactions. Might be pretty hard with a stateless server though.
So you're not a fan of lock-null resources either at this stage.  That seems

JimA and I have been doing all the talking for the last day.  Anyone else want
to be heard?  :-)

I don't really care that much one way or the other about lock-null resources. I
think they add a lot of complexity to the protocol for little functional gain
and wouldn't be opposed to removing them. But if they stay, that's OK too.  If
lock-null stays, then I think it would be reasonable for delete on a locked
resource to change the state of the resource to a lock-null resource. To
complete the delete, the client would have to do the unlock. This is at least
consistent semantics and allows the protocol to support symmetric resource