Re: Resource-Type and Ref-Target Headers

From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:12:08 -0400
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
"Slein, Judith A" wrote:

> We were using Resource-Type only in 302 responses from redirect references.
> Resource-Type was only there to let the client know that it was not getting
> a 302 response from a plain HTTP resource, but rather a response from a
> redirect reference.  We can convey the same information by returning the
> DAV:reftarget property in the response body.  The presence of that property
> indicates that the response is from a redirect reference.

This is incompatible with a recommendation in RFC-2616 (section 10.3.3, second
paragraph):

     Unless the request method was HEAD, the entity of the response SHOULD
     contain a short hypertext note with a hyperlink to the new URI(s).

Do we want to override this? It's to provide pseudo-compatibility with old or
broken browsers that don't understand 302.

(Personally, I suspect we don't need to provide the resource type information
on every request.  It's available via PROPFIND with Passthrough: T; clients
that need to know can find out.)

|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|eCal Corp.      |I'm on a Mission From God to Save The World from|
|francis@ecal.com|megalomania!                                    |