RE: Bindings, Locks, and MOVE

Actually I was confused by thinking that a write lock would prevent a COPY
with Destination being the locked resource.  (So I thought that the COPY
step wouldn't be allowed to happen.)  But I see that the definition of write
lock doesn't address this case.

I do have trouble following your description of the fixup stage, though.  I
take it you don't think we face the awkward situation Kevin described, where
there end up being 2 resources where there used to be only one.  But how do
you avoid this?

Before the MOVE we have:

/a/b.html   /x/y.html         /c/d.html
    \         /                   |
     \       /                    |
      \     /                     |
         R                        S

and user1 has a lock on R through /a/b.html

Now user2 attempts to MOVE /c/d.html to /x/y.html.  First the binding y.html
is removed from collection /x/.  Then S is duplicated, say to S' and a new
binding y.html is created in /x/ to S'.  That's the COPY step.  At this
point we have:

/a/b.html     /x/y.html      /c/d.html
   R             S'             S

The DELETE step is to remove the binding d.html from /c/.  It doesn't look
as if there needs to be any fixup, but we do have the awkward result that we
now have 2 resources R and S' where there used to be just R.

--Judy