Re: Locking: Implementation Considerations

From: <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:30:06 -0400
To: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org, JSlein@crt.xerox.com

So in summary...

It is your opinion that the versioning work provides all of the (current)
benefits of locking (presumably with a merge phase), but it is hard to implement
so you offer the option of adding ssraat.

Did I get that right?

You mention a scenario where ssraat is used in combination with versioning.
That suggests that you feel locking provides something that versioning
doesn't....  is that the case?

<GC>
 (And thus he adroitly dodges the request to denigrate
the versioning work :-).
</GC>
Cheater! :-)   I think you or someone will have to answer this if we're to
consider versioning to be a partial or true alternative to locking.  Otherwise,
we'll just have to evaluate your proposals to remove depthlock and null lock on
each of their own merits.

J.