-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:orcmid@email.msn.com]On Behalf Of
infonuovo@email.com
Sent: Friday, August 13, 1999 8:06 AM
To: WebDAV Discussion List (E-mail)
Cc: Alan Babich (E-mail); Chuck Fay (E-mail); Jim Green (E-mail); John F.
Greene Jr. (E-mail); Katsumi Kanasaki (E-mail); Mitsuru Akizawa (E-mail);
Richard Sauvain (E-mail); Steve Cousins (E-mail)
Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: WebDAV: UUID/GUID - Please check my math!

In the subject note, please ignore the brain-damaged comment at the end:

>> Can someone please check this for me.
>>And does anyone know where the 3400AD determination came from?
>>(It's true that the timestamp can be smaller for different Variant fields.
>>But the DCE variant field only takes away 2 bits from time-hi.)

I was confusing the DCE variant field with the DCE version field.  The
version field is always 4 bits in a DCE UUID and the timestamp is always 60
bits.  It is the clock-sequence number (a different beast altogether) that
is narrowed as the variant field changes size.

-- Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
mailto:infonuovo@email.com
tel. +1(650)938.4584