Re: FW: Circular Bindings

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:40:15 -0400
To: JSlein@crt.xerox.com
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
   From: ccjason@us.ibm.com [mailto:ccjason@us.ibm.com]

   ... this also reminds me that with AdvColl, it is possible that a
   portion of the source tree and the destination might be common.  And
   that initial deletion phase of the COPY might actually essentially
   delete a portion of the source tree.  It's probably a red herring, but
   it's probably also something we should mention in the spec.

I agree that it is something that should be explicitly mentioned
(and disagree that it is a red herring :-).

In particular, I'd suggest some words to the effect that a COPY should
be semantically equivalent to a COPY to a temporary URL (that identifies
a null resource) followed by a MOVE from the temporary URL to the
destination URL.

Since this situation can arise even in the base WebDAV spec, it probably
would be worth adding this wording there as well, but minimally it should
appear in the Adv. Col. specification.

Cheers,
Geoff