getlastmodified & properties

From: Douglas Steen <dsteen@connectionpoints.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:16:15 -0000
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
RFC 2518, 13.7 reads (in part):
  "Note that the last-modified date on a resource may reflect changes in
any part of the state of the resource, not necessarily just a change to
the response to the GET method."

I'd like to assume that the last-modified date _will_ reflect changes to
any part of the state (such as a property change).  I know that this is
the case for IIS5, but I'm wondering if other servers are changing the
last-modified date when properties are updated, even though it's not
officially required.

Does anyone know whether this is an unwritten standard, or just a
coincidence for IIS5?

Douglas R. Steen
dsteen@connectionpoints.com

       Increase your Web traffic for free with ShareWith
          ShareWith: word-of-mouth online promotion
          -------> http://www.ShareWith.com <----------