RE: NULL resources and PUT and MKCOL

Jim Amsden writes:
> PUT is not allowed on collections, MKCOL must be used.

I'm not sure whether you intended this to be just specific to null-lock
"collections", or to all collections.  In general, a collection may have an
entity body returned by GET, and hence, in my view, can also accept PUT
requests.  A server is also free to not accept PUT requests.  It's not
possible to say categorically they should always accept PUT, or always
reject PUT.

> PUT creates a basic resource, and MKCOL creates a
> collection. The server shouldn't make any assumptions about the
> type of a NULL resource from its URL as the resource has no type.
>
> The spec isn't specific on this, but the preceeding logic seems
> consistent with the spirit of the spec, meets reasonable expectation, and
> minimizes the number of special cases.

I don't have a strong position one way or the other.

- Jim