RE: Interoperability testing with Xythos DAV server

From: Jim Davis <jrd3@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:36:20 -0700
To: "Kevin Wiggen" <wiggs@xythos.com>
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
At 08:21 PM 7/13/99 -0700, Kevin Wiggen wrote:

>8) attempt to lock a non-existant resource gets NotFound
>
>   What do you think it should give?  My default is a 404 if the resource is
>not found...

The WebDAV spec explicitly addresses this point.  The reason being that you
might want to lock something before creating it so you can control all the
details of it.  otherwise there is a race condition:  you create FOO,
someone else locks FOO before you can issue the lock.

Does this make sense?

See spec section 7.4 for more details