Re: Clarifications on RFC2518

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:02:28 -0800
To: ejw@ics.uci.edu
CC: Kevin Wiggen <wiggs@wiggenout.com>, WEBDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Jim Whitehead wrote:
> <R:bigbox>
>     <R:BoxType> Box type A </R:BoxType>
> </R:bigbox>
>
> Is stored in the webdav server as property name <R:bigbox> with a value of
> <R:BoxType> Box type A </R:BoxType>
>
> Is this correct???
>
> <ejw>
> Actually, the value is:
>
> <R:bigbox>
>     <R:BoxType> Box type A </R:BoxType>
> </R:bigbox>
>
> That is, the value does explicitly include the <R:bigbox> and </R:bigbox>
> tags.  This is because we adopt a convention of having the outermost XML
> element of a property be the name of the property itself.
>
> </ejw>

I do not believe that the specification is clear on this. Specifically,
mod_dav stores the value as "\n    <R:BoxType Box Type A </R:BoxType\n".
The name is part of the find/patch request, rather than part of the
value.

A corollary is that mod_dav does not store any attributes that are
associated with the name element.

On a separate note: I believe I have detailed this appropriately on the
mod_dav home page (http://www.webdav.org/mod_dav/), but if somebody goes
to read it and finds it isn't clear enough, then please let me know.
I've been trying to capture things that could be called "implementation
defined"; the only other imp-defined item, so far, is the <href> format
in a <response> element.

thx
-g

--