RE: Advanced collections and ordering

The intent was not to provide any protocol support for server-maintained orderings.

As the spec currently stands, a server that doesn't claim to support DAV ordering is, of course, free to do whatever it likes.  But if a server claims to support DAV ordering for a given collection, it can't do server-maintained ordering on that collection.  Maybe this is a bad thing.

The one thing I think we *don't* want to do is require servers to provide server-maintained orderings in order to be compliant with DAV ordering.

We could do something minimal, as has been proposed for strong references, and provide a way for servers to advertise the server-maintained orderings they can offer.  If the client chose one of those orderings, the server would reject any attempts by the client to set the position of collection members in the ordering, and would be responsible for maintaining the ordering itself.

--Judy

Judith A. Slein
Xerox Corporation
jslein@crt.xerox.com