Re: Delete, Move, and Copy for References (Yaron's Issue #9)

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:52:04 -0500
To: JSlein@crt.xerox.com
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

   From: "Slein, Judith A" <JSlein@crt.xerox.com>

   <...>

I agree with everything Judy said up to here, but cut it out for brevity.

   I don't quite get Geoff's comment that "The client needs to be warned that
   there really will *not* be a copy made," since I thought the position we
   were both supporting is that there *will* really be a copy made, both for
   direct references and for redirect references.

(This was a comment on invoking a COPY on a redirect reference.)

For a redirect reference COPY, you could either return the 302 and not do
anything (letting the client decide whether to do a "no-passthrough
copy" or copy the target explicitly), or you could return the 302
*and* actually do a "no-passthrough copy.

I slightly prefer the former (since normally a "302" means that the
operation did not happen, right?), but either one is fine with me.

Cheers,
Geoff