Re: Win98 'Web Folders'?

Chris Price wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>
> > Chris,
> >
> > As an Apache admin, if you want to enable WebDAV on your server, you'll
> > probably be interested in either:
>
>         Yep, I looked at this and have been pondering whether or not to
> install it. I hadn;t planned on doing it until I actually had a user
> need/request for WebDAV service.
>
>         My problem is that I have users now requesting for access via
> their 'Win98 Webfolders', and am unsure as to what 'Win98 Webfolders' are.
> Are they an IIS specific thing, a frontapge thing, or a WebDAV thing, or
> ...?

Web Folders are an IE5 thing. It uses the WebDAV protocol to talk to the
server (or it can use the FrontPage-proprietary protocol). So... that
means you want a server to speak the WebDAV protocol. WebDAV is an
extension to HTTP, which means the easiest way to have your server speak
WebDAV is to extend your web server to speak HTTP *and* WebDAV.

My mod_dav module for Apache is just the trick. I've been using it in
conjunction with Web Folders for a couple months now and it works great.

For information about WebDAV in general, please see
http://www.webdav.org/. There is a FAQ there that may be helpful.

Cheers,
-g

--