DESTROY considered harmful

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 13:15:27 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

In an earlier messaage, Judy proposed that we just drop the DESTROY
(i.e. remove all bindings) method.  I second that proposal.  The use
cases that have been described, such as forcing the server to really
get rid of all remnants of that resource, or hoping to force the
server to free up space, only apply to a very limited set of
resources.  Neither semantics is guaranteed by the HTTP-1.1 spec, and
I think the authors of the HTTP-1.1 spec were very sensible in not
doing so.

Cheers,
Geoff