RE: Some problems with the WebDAV protocol (part 1: philosophy)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:58:45 PDT
To: <ejw@ics.uci.edu>, "Yoram Last" <ylast@mindless.com>
Cc: "WEBDAV WG" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
If you believe that HTTP/1.1 would be improved with a cleaner
definition of PUT and DELETE, then I suggest you write a separate
document defining these more clearly, and purpose it as an
update to the HTTP specification. It could be a Proposed Standard
to update the HTTP/1.1 Draft Standard.

My understanding is that what you're looking for isn't so much
a change to existing implementations of HTTP, but rather a
clarification and refinement of the definition of two operators
that are not widely used and are only weakly specified.

My belief is that HTTP interoperability testing for PUT and
DELETE has been superficial. Although HTTP-WG is officially
closing, it doesn't mean that more work on HTTP itself can't
happen. And the WebDAV group is a good example of where future
refinements might arise.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter