Re: Some problems with the WebDAV protocol

From: Yoram Last <ylast@mindless.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 03:01:05 +0300
To: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>
CC: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
> > As an implementor,
> > *I* may decide that there are currently more HTTP/1.1 clients than there are
> > WebDAV clients, and since I want to support both, I will simply ignore your
> > prohibitions on PUT
>
> Side point: any commercial implementation that does this (or any commercial service
> based on a product that does this) will not be able to advertise that they support
> WebDAV; they'd risk a fraud suit.

They might risk a suit if they advertise they are *compliant*, but I never saw this
word used except in the context of Y2K. To "support" doesn't mean to be
"fully compliant," and I don't believe you can convince a court differently.
Microsoft says a lot of their products support all kinds of standards, even though
their actual level of compliance is often "less than perfect". If there was a buck
to be made suing for that, I imagine people would have done so by now.
(I am not a lawyer, though).

Yoram