RE: Ramifications of WebDAV's property design decisions

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:44:08 PST
To: "Yaron Goland" <yarong@microsoft.com>, "'Slein, Judith A'" <JSlein@crt.xerox.com>, "Jim Davis" <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> <Conclusion>
> The easy conclusion is to declare that live properties are just bad design
> and to ban them. But there are very serious problems in the HTTP protocol
> which lead to WebDAV's property design. Until these issues are
> addressed we can not realistically demand that people cease from
> this bad design practice.
>
> I look forward to the day when these HTTP issues are resolved, alternative
> mechanisms are provided for the functional data now in WebDAV and
> we declare DAV's properties to be officially deprecated.
> </Conclusion>

I'm suggesting that we declare client dependence on non-standard operational
live properties as "bad design" and declare such dependence as
non-conformant.

This will allow us to move forward carefully without large-scale
deployment of non-interoperable software which purports to be
"WebDAV" but in fact requires some dialect that isn't universally
understood.

Larry