RE: Properties and enforceability

From: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:51:27 -0800
To: "'Bruce Cragun'" <BCragun.ORM2-1.OREM2@GW.Novell.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
We could try to enumerate every possible combination of policy into the
protocol but clients wouldn't be written to support them all so
interoperability goes out the window. Especially in the case you specify
below where you essentially need transactioning or some sort of composite
method in order to guarantee the policy is properly enforced.

If you desperately need this policy, if you must have it or you just can't
work, then DAV isn't for you.

However, there is nothing which stops your clients from performing
PUT/CHECKIN followed by a PROPPATCH. But if you are to use DAV then your
server must also be able to handle clients who don't necessarily PROPPATCH
the properties your need.

This, unfortunately, is one of the compromises that having an open
interoperable standard requires.

		Yaron