Re: Does DASL need to support structured queries?

From: <Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:28:36 PST
To: jamsden@us.ibm.COM
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
> So the same mechanism can be use to search structure properties
> since they are XML elements (on the wire) too.

Let me see if I understand you correctly.  Are you saying that "the same
mechanism" can be used to search over the metadata about the documents as over
the document content?  I don't think that follows from just observing that both
have structure and can be queried using XML (lots of things have structure but
that doesn't mean everything can be searched by the same mechanism; XML can be
used to represent anything, as can ASCII, binary data, S-expressions, and so
on); you would also need some deeper unity of model and implementation.