RE: Clarification of URI vs. Resource

From: Slein, Judith A <JSlein@crt.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:46:05 -0500
To: "Masinter, Larry" <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, ejw@ics.uci.edu
Cc: WEBDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
It's true that DocuShare objects can be in more than one collection, and
they want clients to be able to find out all the collections an object
belongs to.  But I think the last time we had this conversation that wasn't
their main concern.

Really they wanted to be able to use something more like a URN as the
request-URI -- something that was not location-dependent.

Judith A. Slein
Xerox Corporation
jslein@crt.xerox.com
(716)422-5169
800 Phillips Road 105/50C
Webster, NY 14580

eid=22278

No, there were no ? in it. The URLs do look like this, though:

http://docushare.parc.xerox.com/Get/File-214
http://docushare.parc.xerox.com/Get/Collection-1273

and the issue isn't over 'cgi' vs. non-mapped cgi, but rather that
a given resource can (sometimes) be in more than one collection.

By the way, you said:

# But, according to RFC 2396, everything to the right of the "?" in a URI is
# to be interpreted by the resource, which is identified by the text to the
# left of the "?".

but RFC 2396 says no such thing. http://host/path?query1 and
http://host/path
are different resources. The only meaning of the 'query' is in relative
URL parsing, and the fact that some media types (e.g., text/html)
have algorithms that perform URL construction using the query syntax.

Larry