RE: Clarification of URI vs. Resource

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:28:19 PST
To: "Slein, Judith A" <JSlein@crt.xerox.com>, <ejw@ics.uci.edu>, "WEBDAV WG" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> It wouldn't mean you couldn't mention URLs, but just that you couldn't say
> that URLs are members of collections, or design the protocol so that
> anything depends on URL syntax for figuring out collection
> membership.  Now that I sit down to look at it, I see that this
> would require changes to the protocol, so never mind.  For example,
> MKCOL now determines the parent collection as well as the name of
> the new collection from the request-URI. And of course there would
> have to be a new method for navigating up.

This was the problem the DocuShare group was having in trying to
implement WebDAV for DocuShare.  The problem is that you can't really
add these features after the fact as 'optional' components, because
clients will be released that will ASSUME that the URL syntax determines
(the possibility of) containment.

Larry