RE: Clarification of URI vs. resource

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:30:55 PST
To: "Yaron Goland" <yarong@microsoft.com>, "'Roy T. Fielding'" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>, <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> >Roy Fielding agreed:
> >> I'll agree with Larry here -- I've been staying out of the debate
> >> largely because I don't understand the need for the requirement at all.
> >
> >The only problem is that I don't understand what constraint
> they're talking
> >about! Is this a discussion of case sensitivity, or namespace
> consistency?
>
> My comment was regarding the requirement that DAV capable resources be
> within a DAV collection.

Urk! That wasn't what I was complaining about. The requirement I
don't understand is the requirement that a resource not appear
twice in a collection. I don't understand the reason for the requirement.
If I understood the reason for the requirement, then I might know
why it should be OK for the same 'resource' to appear in a collection
twice if that resource is named with different URLs.