RE: Clarification of URI vs. resource

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:48:54 PST
To: "Geoffrey M. Clemm" <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Cc: <yarong@microsoft.com>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> In this discussion, there occasionally is a shift from the term "URI"
> to the term "URL" and then back.  I've read RFC-2396 several times,
> especially section 1.2, but it still looks to me like "URI" could have
> been used consistently throughout.  Since the distinction is often
> made within a single paragraph (e.g. the paragraph beginning "Frankly"
> below), it must have been done deliberately ... Can anyone help
> me out here?

A URL is a kind of URI. Normally we talk about URIs in WebDAV,
because the use isn't restricted. However, there is a controversy
around the use of relative links with URIs that aren't URLs.
So, when talking about relative links, I slip into using "URL"
instead of "URI". For the purposes of WebDAV, the two terms are
interchangable.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter