Re: Versioning implications for Referencing

From: Geoffrey M. Clemm <gclemm@tantalum.atria.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 22:09:00 -0500
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

I agree with the choice of a special request header.

I believe it is likely that the "PIN" method will be replaced with a
property update, so the request header that would make GETPROP and
PUTPROP refer to the reference itself rather than the reference target
is a preferable (in addition to being more general) solution than any
special handling of a "PIN" method.

Cheers,
Geoff

   From: "Slein, Judith A" <JSlein@crt.xerox.com>
   Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 09:28:11 -0500

   My preference would be for the latter:  by default,
   any method on a direct reference would be passed through,
   but some header on the request would make the method affect
   the reference itself.  I think we would still say that DELETE,
   MOVE, and COPY always affect the reference, never its target.