Re: property value clarification

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 05:50:01 -0800
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
A little clarification here. I knew this was a sticky issue and is
obviously raising some good discussion, but my main question related to
the properties associated with the property-name elements, rather than
the internal markup.

If you want to use properties INSIDE, then I'd think that is fine. The
main question revolved around whether the attributes of a property-name
element are considered part of the value that must be persisted.

We save all attributes on markup within the "contents", but what about
attributes on the "propname" element?

So far, I've heard "implementation defined [since we'll omit it in the
spec]" (although I'm not sure I read EJW's response right), and that if
an xml:lang attribute is present, then it must be persisted.

There have also been some ruminations about namespace handling; in
particular, whether the server might rename the prefixes that are used.

IMO: only the contents and its markup are property values. Namespace
prefixes may be rewritten at will by the server (based on the
requirement that it is well-formed XML, then I believe we can assume it
is allowable to manipulate it as long as the well-formed-ness and
semantics are maintained). I don't know enough about xml:lang to

Greg Stein (gstein@lyra.org)