property value clarification

From: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:18:06 -0800
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
The specification is not clear on whether attributes of a property name
element are considered to be part of its value. Specifically, take this

<?xml version="1.0"?>
      <prop1 attr="value">
      <prop2 attr="value"/>

Is the above legal? What is the expected result from a PROPFIND?

The examples (and text) for PROPFIND/PROPPATCH do not cover attributes
at all. I presume they are legal for markup *within* a <prop1>..</prop1>
element, but I haven't found anything discussing attributes on the
<prop1> element itself.

Greg Stein (gstein@lyra.org)