A problem with versioned collections

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 11:12:00 -0700
To: WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
I see a problem with versioned collections.  Suppose /foo/,
/foo/bar/, and /foo/bar/baz.html are all versioned.  Now,
under the current protocol draft, you would refer to
revision 1.5 of /foo/bar/baz.html by something like:

     GET /foo/bar/baz.html
     Revision-Id: 1.5

Right? But that implies that, in all the different revisions
of /foo/ and /foo/bar/, there can be only one revision
history for /foo/bar/baz.html.  Suppose /foo/bar/ has two
branches, and /foo/bar/baz.html was created separately in
each of them; there should be no relationship between
/foo/bar/baz.html in revision 1.5 of /foo/bar/ and
/foo/bar/baz.html in revision 1.3.1.2 (that is, on a branch
which forked off at revision 1.3).

Either Revision-Id: has to take a path of revision IDs, or
we have to get rid of versioned collections.
(Personally, I'd vote the latter; I don't see what problem
they're solving.)

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | Vote for Ron, and nobody gets hurt!     |
|francis@netscape.com      |  --actual campaign poster from Chicago  |