Re: Versioning goals doc

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:11:54 -0700
To: WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Sankar Virdhagriswaran wrote:

> > > Has this been
> > > discussed at all in the versioning group.
> >
> > Yes, it has.
>
> In that case, has the requirement that Larry M put forth been discussed

Do you mean the one, "any variant tha[t] can be authored independently must be
a separate resource"? I think so--that's certainly in JimW's original protocol
draft.

> and
> how it is going to be addressed with a base version control DAV (i.e., one
> without support for configurations).

It's in the Draft
(<http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/versioning/draft-whitehead-webdav-versioning-00.txt>).
Briefly, a version graph represents relationships among resources, both "is
descended from" (for versioning) and "is equivalent to" (for variants).

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      |"Simply vanished--like an old oak table."|
|francis@netscape.com      |  --Lord Percy, _Black Adder II_         |