RE: COPY/MOVE missing 409 response?

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:11:35 -0700
To: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>, WEBDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> Under the COPY and MOVE methods' detailed list of response codes, it
> does not cover 409 Conflict. The discussion text doesn't either.
>
> I presume that if you COPY/MOVE a resource or collection to /a/b/c where
> b doesn't exist, then you'll get a 409?

This makes sense to me, since we have defined the 409 Response for MKCOL to
be:

"A collection cannot be made at the Request-URI until one or more
intermediate collections have been created."

So, the spec. should be changed to add similar language for trying to COPY
or MOVE to a location whose parent collection (DAV or non-DAV) does not
exist.

- Jim