RE: Versioning goals doc

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:04:33 -0700
To: WEBDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> At 3:20 PM -0400 9/25/98, Jim Whitehead wrote:
> >While I agree that using a Vgraph places some restrictions on
> the solution
> >space, I doubt they're as restrictive as you're making them out to be.  A
> >version graph approach does rule out sums of changes approaches
> similar to
> >those used in the PIE system.  In these systems, a user
> constructs the state
> >of each object by adding together various changes (e.g., start with
> >baseline, add bug fix #43, add bug fix #56, add operating system upgrade
> >patch).
> >
> >But, I don't think this is what you're proposing WebDAV adopt.
>
> On the other hand, this is one of the things that I was very
> concerned that
> the initial version requirements _not prevent_. The change-oriented
> approach to collaboration is rapidly becoming mainstream in the CSCW
> research world (5 papers in the upcoming conference this November).
>
> Web collaboration should be at least as suitable for document editing as
> software versioning.

One of my major concerns with a change-oriented approach is that it tends to
assume the system has a lot of content-type-specific knowledge, and it tends
to assume you're dealing with text-like objects.  This is contrary to one of
the underlying design principles of the Web, which is that operations are
media-type independent.

- Jim