Re: Versioning goals doc

Sankar Virdhagriswaran wrote:

> > The "CM must be an optional feature"
> > requirement, which came out of the Chicago meeting, takes the
> > "versioning is
> > the degenerate case of CM" approach out of the running.
>
> I don't understand your point. How would CM being an optional feature take
> out "versioning is the degenerate case of CM"

Uh...how would it not? Chris's "versioning is the degenerate case of CM"
proposal uses CM as the core functionality, and does versioning by having a
configuration set with only one resource.  The requirement from Chicago, on the
other hand, is that it must be possible to do versioning without doing CM.
Sure, it might be possible to implement a system based on such a backend, and
emulate Vgraphs based on the backend's data; but that says nothing about the
protocol--there must be a Vgraph (or something similar) for each resource.

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      |Nondeterminism may or may not mean never |
|francis@netscape.com      | having to say you're wrong.             |
New area code for work number: 650