Re: Optional Backpointers from Targets to References

From: <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:26:47 -0400
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

> Depending on their usage. I don't use backpointers for anything, and
> thus a DASL search is always more efficient.  Likewise, a WebDAV client
> has no direct need for backpointers other than as a means for
> information discovery, which is also more efficiently performed and
> scoped by a search query than via a PROPFIND request.  How that is
> implemented on the server side is none of our business.

Roy, perhaps I misunderstand the context of your statement, but I might
disagree with your statement that "a WebDAV client has no direct need
for backpointers..."   I know that I, as a human client using WebDAV,
might like to know what is referencing a resource.  Perhaps that's
what you meant by "information discovery".  Feel free to clarify.

I could imagine finding backpointers using a DASL like query might be
very slow relative to an architected property/mechanism for
maintaining backpointer info.  Perhaps you could explain why you say
DASL is always more efficient for you.

> I don't particularly care whether a backpointer property is
> defined or not, just so long as people understand that it
> isn't necessary.

I agree that it's not *necessary* to be REQUIRED and even mentioned
in the protocol, but I think I agree with the person that said that it
seems like it would be good to standardize how this info is accessed.

Jason.