Re: Optional Backpointers from Targets to References

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:13:25 -0700
To: Bruce Cragun <BCragun.ORM2-1.OREM2@gw.novell.com>
cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
>Use DASL just to discover references to a resource?  Depending on what you are
>using the backpointers for, that could put quite a load on your system.  And
>I would think the performance would negate its value.  The beauty of storing
>backpointers is that they are FAST, DIRECT, and EASY TO MAINTAIN.

Depending on their usage. I don't use backpointers for anything, and thus
a DASL search is always more efficient.  Likewise, a WebDAV client has no
direct need for backpointers other than as a means for information discovery,
which is also more efficiently performed and scoped by a search query than
via a PROPFIND request.  How that is implemented on the server side is
none of our business.

The uses that you gave for backpointers in your system are only relevant
for behind-the-server-curtains types of operations.  That's all fine and
good, but you don't need a DAV property to do that, nor do you need any
extra client-to-server interoperability.

I don't particularly care whether a backpointer property is defined
or not, just so long as people understand that it isn't necessary.

....Roy