Re: Optional Backpointers from Targets to References

From: Bruce Cragun <BCragun.ORM2-1.OREM2@GW.Novell.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:47:37 -0600
To: <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>, <JSlein@crt.xerox.com>
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Use DASL just to discover references to a resource?  Depending on what you are using the backpointers for, that could put quite a load on your system.  And I would think the performance would negate its value.  The beauty of storing backpointers is that they are FAST, DIRECT, and EASY TO MAINTAIN.

>>> "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> 09/18 7:41 PM >>>
I doubt that unrestricted backpointers to collection parents will be
implementable on general web servers, but I have no objection to defining
an optional backpointer property provided that it is also mentioned that
such a property is not a very good way to implement scalable systems.
I would expect any system that implemented such a thing would restrict
the backpointers to references within the same object repository
(whatever serves as the server backend).

The same functionality can be accomplished via a DASL query, regardless
of how the server backend works, which has the advantage of specifying
the scope of the query.  So, I don't think directly specifying
a property to hold that information should imply that the property is
maintained live.  OTOH, I'm not sure how the response to such a DASL
query would look like (i.e., if it would need DAV:references itself).

....Roy