Re: Direct References in the Advanced Collections Requiremen

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:49:23 -0700
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Jim Amsden wrote:

> Reading through a reference to the target or not has nothing to do with client
> and server or communication for that matter.

How could that be? The HTTP client issues a request to the server (by definition:
the client is the one that issues a request), and then either (a) the server
applies that request to the reference's target, or (b) the server tells the
client what the target is, and the client reissues the request for the new URI.
Case (a), the reference is dereferenced on the server side; case (b), it's
dereferenced on the client side.

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | Life is like a metaphor.                |
|francis@netscape.com      |                                         |
New area code for work number: 650