ORDERPATCH in the Advanced Collections Specification

From: Slein, Judith A <JSlein@crt.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:59:27 -0400
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
At IETF 42, the question was raised:  What is the rationale for allowing
only one change to an ordering per ORDERPATCH request?

I believe that the rationale for this decision was that there may be
existing DMSs that support only single changes per request, and that we
should not require them to change in order to be compliant with the
Ordering part of the Advanced Collections specification.

We can certainly change this position if the consensus of the group is
that it is too restrictive.  An intermediate position might be that we
define the ORDERPATCH request to support multiple changes per request,
but don't require servers to accept requests with more than one change.

Judith A. Slein
CR&T/ADSTC
jslein@crt.xerox.com
8*222-5169