Re: Advanced Collections Requirement: Hiding the Location of a Target

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:55:24 -0700
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
"Slein, Judith A" wrote:

> There was a suggestion for a new requirement that the creator of a
> reference be able to hide the location of the target.

[...]

> In the context of direct references, what is the ratoinale for this
> requirement?

I think the answer is that the target URI itself might be sensitive data.
For example, suppose I were running a startup out of my home while working
for Netscape (I'm not :-), and wanted to keep it private.  Say the
startup's pages are under http://foo/myStartup/ (bit of a giveaway), and
there's a single page in there that I want to show to a Netscape co-worker,
so I create an indirect reference to it.  I don't want them to be able to
see the target URI.

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | Whose cruel idea was it for the word    |
|francis@netscape.com      | "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?            |
New area code for work number: 650