Re: Namespace consistency

From: John Stracke <francis@netscape.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:05:02 -0700
To: WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Jim Davis wrote:

> >So a DAV-compliant resource can't be, say, a CGI script?
>
> Of course it can be a CGI script.

That could be very difficult to implement, though.  If http://foo/bar/baz.cgi
is a CGI script, then http://foo/bar/baz.cgi/quux.html is a perfectly legal
URI as far as the protocol's concerned.  If descendants of DAV collections
must be DAV, then baz.cgi must implement all DAV methods in order for
quux.html to be compliant.  Of course, the server's DAV implementation can
provide helper code for baz.cgi to use, but it could still get pretty nasty.

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      |"The avalanche has already started. It is|
|francis@netscape.com      | too late for the pebbles to vote." -Kosh|
New area code for work number: 650