RE: Namespace consistency

From: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 00:01:45 -0700
To: "Jim Whitehead (E-mail)" <ejw@ics.uci.edu>, "'Larry Masinter'" <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
My reading of the DAV spec is that both Jim's statement (the parents of a
DAV resource do not have to be a DAV resource) and Larry's language (the
child of a DAV resource doesn't have to be a DAV resource) are BOTH correct
and BOTH supported by the spec. The language in the spec is phrased as "If a
resource is DAV compliant THEN ....."

In the particular case Larry lists my understanding of the spec is that if
http://a/b/c IS DAV compliant then http://a/b/c/d.cgi WOULD be listed as a
member of http://a/b/c EVEN THOUGH it isn't itself DAV compliant. The
requirement for listing is only on http://a/b/c because it is DAV compliant
but this puts no onus on http://a/b/c/d.cgi to be DAV compliant.