RE: Namespace consistency

From: Jim Amsden <jamsden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:19:50 -0400
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
>"We would like to support DAV methods in
>this subtree but we don't want to support them on the root but the protocol
>says we MUST do it, so can we still use DAV?"

It should be possible to configure a DAV server to have a document root
contained in "collection" that is not DAV compliant. For example, I use the
Java Web Server's doc.root of c:\some-path\public-html and set the doc.root for
my authoring web server to be c:\some-path\public-html\dav. This keeps the
authoring server and the production server out of each other's way, but uses
the same file system root for both. Other configurations are possible. The -08
spec does not prevent this, it only leaves it as a server option.