http://foo/bar/blah is a collection. The requirement reads as:

IF http://foo/bar is DAV compliant and
IF http://foo/bar/blah/ exists and is DAV compliant
THEN http://foo/bar must be a collection.

However,

IF http://foo/bar is NOT DAV compliant and
IF http://foo/bar/blah/ exists and is DAV compliant
THEN there is no requirement on http://foo/bar.

The reason the requirement runs this way is that often what appears to be a
single namespace is in fact a whole mishmash of mapped namespaces owned by
separate servers. So even though http://foo/bar/blah may be on a DAV
compliant server there is no guarantee that http://foo/bar is on a DAV
compliant server. Thus our requirements for namespace consistency are
predicated on the parent being DAV compliant.

		Yaron