Re: Hierarchical URLs and Collections

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:10:03 -0700
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
cc: WebDAV working group <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
We are definitely talking past one another.  The real problem is that
WebDAV defines namespaces, not collections in the general sense.
The hierarchical requirement does make sense for a namespace.
What I was trying to explain was that the requirement only applies
to that subset of collections which is a namespace, though I've pretty
much gotten to the point where I'd be a lot happier if WebDAV wouldn't
use general terminology to refer to something that has been
restricted (for ease of deployment) to only a subset of what real
collections are capable of supporting.

The functionality you want is part of the advanced collections
requirements and is currently called a direct reference.  Maybe it
should also be called an internal member, but that means you have
to go back and invent a new term for internal members that are
not direct references.  I hope that this will be easier to do
sometime this week in the hallways or DAV-WG meeting rather than
trying to wrangle terminology on the list.

....Roy