RE: Proposal: optional backpointers for ACR (Was: RE: Hierarchical URLs and Collections)

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:30:36 PDT
To: WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
At 05:43 PM 8/19/98 PDT, Yaron Goland wrote:
>Ick... How about just enhancing ADDREF to accept settings for parents and
>mandating that parent settings have to be returned in PROPFIND? I believe we
>should shy away from programmatic properties, even if they are read-only.

Uhh, please tell me what you mean by "programmatic".

In case I was not clear, what I propose is that when the server sucessfully
processes a MKREF where the target is T, it also changes the state of  T so
that a subsequent PROPFIND of T will show the reference R in T's
dav:references property.

I don't see how this is any different than the way LOCK changes the state
of the locked resource so that lock discovery property will return the lock.

I am certainly not proposing a property that has side-effects.

If what I am proposing is "programmatic" please explain why it is undesirable.